Have a skin rash? Whether it's dry, itchy, red, bumpy, crusty, scaly, or blistered, a skin rash can be an incredible nuisance to your day-to-day life. Fortunately, the dermatologists here at Atlanta Center for Dermatologic Diseases (with offices in Sandy Springs, GA, Roswell, GA, Alpharetta, GA, and Cumming, GA) offers full-service care to eliminate these skin inflammations. Read on to learn more!
Common Causes of Rashes
Some of the more common causes of skin rashes include genetic makeup, certain diseases, irritating substances, sun exposure, hot/humid weather, and allergies. Rashes can also signal a bacterial or fungal infection.
When To Seek Treatment
Although most rashes are not life-threatening, some rashes can indicate a more serious health issue. For example:
- Painful skin rashes should always be evaluated by a dermatologist as soon as possible.
- A rash that covers your body could indicate something concerning, such as an allergic reaction or infection.
- If your rash is accompanied by difficulty breathing, call 911 or go to the emergency room immediately.
Treatments for Rashes
Rash treatments include antihistamine creams, baths, moisturizers, lotions, and cortisone creams. For poison ivy, dermatologists may recommend cool showers and calamine lotion, and an antihistamine for decrease redness and itching. For rashes caused by an allergen, your physician will need to determine which substance caused the problem. A medical test can determine which allergens are causing the problem. For eczema, your dermatologist may suggest moisturizers called emollients that retain water in skin, keeping it smooth while soothing any itch.
Need Care? Give Us a Call
Your rash doesn't have to be the mystery that it may seem at first—let the experts here at the Atlanta Center for Dermatologic Diseases calm your nerves and show you the best way to treat your skin rash. Call one of Atlanta Center for Dermatologic Diseases's offices now to schedule an appointment:
- (404) 252-4333 for Sandy Springs, GA
- (770) 751-1133 for Roswell, GA
- (770) 664-5225 for Alpharetta, GA
- (770) 844-1902 for Cumming, GA