Treating Your Psoriasis
posted: Jan. 27, 2021.
How your dermatologists in Sandy Springs, GA, can help if you suffer from psoriasis
Psoriasis is an annoying, uncomfortable, unsightly skin condition. If you have psoriasis, you already know how difficult it can be to live with. Psoriasis can make you self-conscious and it can affect your self-esteem. The good news is, your dermatologist can help treat psoriasis.
The dermatologists at Atlanta Center For Dermatologic Diseases offer a wide range of medical and aesthetic skincare services, including psoriasis treatment. They have several convenient office locations in Sandy Springs, Roswell, Alpharetta, Atlanta, and Cumming, GA.
Psoriasis is caused by genetic autoimmune factors that make your body produce skin cells too fast. The overproduction of skin cells causes scaly areas on your skin. These psoriasis patches are often itchy and can appear on your elbows, knees, scalp, and other areas.
Psoriasis is classified as mild, moderate, or severe, depending on what percentage of your body is affected.
For mild psoriasis, which affects less than 3% of your body, some common treatments include:
- Prescription or over-the-counter shampoos, bath treatments, and moisturizing creams
- Prescription topical medications containing steroids, to provide itch relief
- Laser or light treatment to reduce or eliminate scaly psoriasis patches
For moderate psoriasis, which affects between 3% and 10% of your body, or severe psoriasis, affecting over 10% of your body, common treatments include:
- Prescription-strength oral medications including methotrexate or cyclosporine, that reduce inflammation and limit the production of skin cells.
- Biologic drugs to suppress your immune system; these drugs are used for severe psoriasis cases.
- Light or laser therapy to reduce or eliminate scaly psoriasis patches.
If you suffer from uncomfortable, itchy psoriasis, help is just a phone call away! To find out more about psoriasis treatment and other medical and aesthetic skincare services, call the dermatologists of Atlanta Center For Dermatologic Diseases today.
For our Sandy Springs, GA, location, call (404) 252-4333.
For our Roswell, GA, location, call (770) 751-1133.
For our Cumming, GA, location, call (770) 844-1902.
For our Atlanta, GA, location, call (404)-252-4333.
For our Alpharetta, GA, location, call (770) 664-5225.